Sunday 7 March 2010

A Grand Day Out

Yesterday I had a lovely day out at RHS Harlow Carr garden. It was organised by a new local group trying to inspire the public to "grow your own." I discovered them quite by chance whilst reading a free local paper in the butchers queue earlier in the week. I logged on to their website to find out more and lo and behold.... they were running this FREE trip yesterday. How lucky is that?

It was exceedingly cold and a bit grey, and unfortunately my camera battery ran out before I would have liked. But it is a beautiful garden, over 58 acres with woodland as well as formal planting and a lovely water area.

Here are a few pics. Look at this great big teapot leaf mould container, right outside Betty's outdoor tea shop.



These snowdrops were delightful on the edge of the woodland.



This is what I am aspiring to with my own fruit trees!



And this with my greenhouse!



Cacti for sale in the plant shop were so colourful, they reminded me of  a sweetshop.



My veg bed will soon be looking looking like this (in my dreams.) The bed surrounds were made from recycled plastic milk bottles apparently.




The cornus (dogwood I think) was so vibrant it looked almost artificial.




Some of the trees were stunning.



They also do lots of willow weaving and sculpture. This is a whale tail. The beech hedge in the background was magnificent.





The whole structure and  form of the garden is just so pleasing.


It was very inspiring to see such richness of colour and shape in a garden in the winter, when my own looks so bleak.

The alpine house was outstanding but my camera had died by then. And it's worth a visit just to buy from the plant shop. All the specimens were so well presented and vigorous.  I can't wait to visit later in the year when everything will be in bloom. Heartily recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - lovely to see this garden - love dogwood really brightens up the garden. Greenhouse and veg. garden - definitely the stuff of dreams - my garden is such a mess at the moment! - Do you grow veg? - I took on a allotment last year - very hard work! - Photos looking good, love the boarder round them - hope you're having a good week - xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Big Sis
    From looking at the photos it looks like you had a lovely day out at Harrogate RHS Garden.
    I thinks snow drops are bright and cheerful and they always remind me of spring.
    I'm looking forward to to watching your garden grow this summer. After all the hard work last year you will soon see the benefits of your labour.
    Looking forward to reading more of your blogs
    Little Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire,
    I loved the picture of the snowdrops you took on your day out. They're one of my favourite flowers.
    Love Jeannie Mac x x x

    ReplyDelete